'Distinctives' of Urban Saints’ Groups
Whilst each local Group retains a high degree of flexibility in the way they run so that the leadership team can best meet the needs of their local community, all Urban Saints’ Groups share certain key 'distinctives' which reflect the missional, Christ-centred heart of our movement with its rich culture and values shaped by over a century of highly effective, volunteer-led youth and children’s outreach.
These five 'distinctives' don't define an Urban Saints' Group, but they do reflect some of the ways that a Group will be recognisably part of the Urban Saints community wherever they are in the UK.
For those interested in starting an Urban Saints' Group in their local community our Impact Team would love to chat with you and unpack these distinctives to show you what an Urban Saints' outreach Group could look like where you live.
All Urban Saints’ Groups are characterised by the following:
- The Group’s mission is primarily to pioneer work in the local community with young people who are unreached by the church…and to accompany them on their faith journey right through to adulthood.
- Relevant Christian practices that nurture faith development are at the heart of the group…and the spiritual ‘health’ of young people is viewed as an important contributor to their overall well-being.
- Lifelong memories and friendships are created through inclusive and adventurous activities…including engaging with the wider Urban Saints community through camps and other events.
- Teams work to recognised high standards of youth and children’s work practice…following our benchmark policies and practice guidelines and supported by Urban Saints’ staff.
- Team members are equipped and inspired through online leaders’ networks and regular training opportunities…and teenagers are nurtured into leadership as part of their discipleship within the Group.